I love your game, great job... but some songs are not the tried-and-true originals we would all know in a split second:
• all Def Leppard songs = live (and barely sound like the Joe Elliott we are used to)
• Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl" = live
• Round & Round (One Hit Wonders playlist) is a re-recording by Stephen Pearcy solo. He was the lead singer of Ratt but this recording was never even remotely a hit. Ratt's recording of "Round & Round" should be used!! (...even though they were certainly not one hit wonders... but that's another story.)
• Hot Chocolate's "You Sexy Thing" = awful re-recording by them
• Ben E King's "Stand By Me" = same as above. (Looks like they're from the same compilation album... makes me think more from that same source will be re-recordings.)
• Whitesnake songs sound off... live? re-recordings?
• Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" (Love Songs playlist) was either completely wrong or a symphonic cover which was unrecognizable. (In fact, a lot of Peter Gabriel's songs seem to be off -- "Big Time" is not correct.)
• "Macarena" is an odd remix (...although I doubt anyone would mistake it for something else! ...but still...)
• Falco's "Der Kommisar" is a modern remix too different from the original.
• Donovan's "Atlantis" is a live version and the clip never actually plays the song
• similar to above, Janis Joplin's "Piece of My Heart" (Classic Rock playlist) is just of her speaking live in concert, no music.
• Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" = long live intro only, not the recognizable album/single version.
• Edwin Starr's "War" (60s Collection) is live and not the original. (Sounds close, but takes extra time to recognize)
• The Byrds' "Mr. Tambourine Man" (60s Collection) doesn't sound like the original version..... live?
• The Foundations' "Build Me Up Buttercup" (60s Collection) is another re-recording, not the original
• Howard Jones' "No One is to Blame" (New Wave playlist) is either live or re-recorded
• Taco's "Puttin' on the Ritz" (80s Collection) is a terrible re-recording and unrecognizable for about 5 seconds
• Howard Jones' "Things Can Only Get Better" is live and unrecognizable for about 3-4 secs
• Chic's "Le Freak" (Disco) is a live version, not the album/single
• Berlin's "No More Words" (New Wave) is a live version, not the album/single.
• "Almost Paradise" by Ann Wilson & Mike Reno, from Footloose, (Movie Soundtrack playlist)... I don't think it's even Ann Wilson & Mike Reno singing. If it's a re-recorded version, then its so bad it doesn't even sound like them... probably a cover by someone else... therefore nothing to do with the playlist.
I know record labels won't authorize or let you use every album version we'd like to hear, but if you don't have an original recording, I'd suggest not using the song. There's hundreds-of-thousands of other songs out there to use instead. MILLIONS prehaps. Just a suggestion.
Please sign in to leave a comment.